overexposure

Hitting that wall (this happens once a month or so) where I cannot tell whether the editing changes we are making on the movie are making it better, worse, or exactly the same.
...It happens because I stop seeing the movie as a whole but rather as a tediously long stream of minutes formed of 60 seconds each, each second being formed by 24 individual frames that can be rearranged in endless agonizing combinations.
...I want every scene to be great. But watching other movies one notices that most movies are a few good scenes strung together by a bunch of interstitial stuff which enables those good scenes.
...I want every scene to not be noticeably bad. But there are some scenes which while not my favorite are key to setting up the other scenes. So some of those have to stay.
...Most of all I don't want people to go, "so what?" But I honestly don't know whether choosing between 1 or 2 seconds of blackness between scene transitions will make a difference on that score.
...In theater it's nice because if something sucks one night you just adjust it for the performance the next night. But at this stage, if it sucks, it will remain so in perpetuity. So I'm trying to keep my suck antennae at maximum sensitivity. But it's hard, because all it takes is One Bad Second.

1 comment:

Briar said...

Good God, man. You are going to drive youself totally crazy with that standard. And I know from crazy.

Every movie has one bad second. I mean, every movie I've ever seen. Which is a lot.

You are a brilliant guy and I have nothing but the utmost confidence in your creative abilities. They were solidly brilliant when you were 15.

Wishing you patience and calm, calm clarity.