money is stupid

...as everyone knows, but I didn't really realize How stupid until I started to see people regularly losing tens of thousands of dollars on a card game in which the only skill is counting to nine.
...so I'm trying to be responsible and save up some money now, which is relatively easy when:
A) your favorite food is Vietnamese sandwiches ($2.50 Can buy Happiness)
B) you have DirectTV and a reliable internet connection so that weird entertainment just comes your way instead of having to leave the house for it
C) you, and by you I mean I, abhor travel.
...of course because of my stinky non-entrepeneurial worker-bee mentality, the money can only accrue at the unimpressive rate, that is to say the distressingly constant trickle, of my middle-class salary. And of course I still am in debt to the nice people who helped fund my movie. But brushing that aside for the moment, I have to consider; the only reason I've ever saved money for anything was to accomplish some artistic project. If I save money now, the likelihood is that I'll blow it all on this wonderfully low-tech dogme-style movie I'm trying to shoot. But maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should actually invest in or buy something that is going the help me break free of the daily financial grind, like a small business or a piece of property. I mean, I've already made one movie using a good chunk of my own money, which is like a total aberration in this business (in which it is industry-standard to not attempt making a film until you are sure you can waste at least $100,000 of someone else's money, and it's a news item whenever a movie star with the net worth of a small country does the unheard-of thing of financing the picture with his own money! gasp!). Anyway point being is, having already done that, it's not required that I do it again, it's just kind of a loop in my thinking. Maybe I should be thinking about saving up to throw money at something else.
...If only I knew what that is.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

buy a house? seems to be a lot of people's advice anyway.

Anonymous said...

nah, don't buy a house. put $1,000 aside and try to invest it to see if you can make a bigger nest egg, then quit your job and make movies forever.

or you could start by opening a Roth IRA. it's ok to save for your retirement. that's what we're supposed to do. i have a lot of days where i have to fight back panic at having absolutely no money saved against my future old person poverty.

Anonymous said...

I think either buying a house or starting to save for retirement are good ideas - at least if you have a house, it feels useful because you can live it, and it is sitting there ready to be sold if you need the money when you are old. Or you live in it, it increases in value, you sell it for a better one, it increases in value, etc etc. You do have to make sure you buy something that's going to increase, though. They also give you super mega good deals to borrow against the equity in your house.

NYSMF said...

No! Don't buy into the fiction of buying a house! Your debt will suddenly reach into the hundreds of thousands, rather than mere tens!!! Beware the people who mindlessly insist homeownership is good for you -- I bet they talk about resale value of their cars BEFORE they buy them, eeech.

Anonymous said...

Look, commenter after me. I don't know who you are, but I will have you know that I don't recommend anything mindlessly, especially not to old friends.
Don't mess with my homeowning, Saab-driving ass, bucko. Not worrying about resale value is a sign of immaturity. Or perhaps a trust fund ('cause see then you'd be so rich it wouldn't matter if your money just disappeared). In any case, I warn you to think twice before maligning my heartfelt advice.

Anonymous said...

you could visit my spa blog with your nest egg... c'mon. i BOOKMARKED you, man. reciprocate.

dm said...

bacdafucup aspanymous

dm said...

someone who reads my blog drives a Saab? maybe THAT's what I really need. Or a Porsche. I hear that everyone having a mid-life crisis should buy a Porsche.

dm said...

someone who reads my blog drives a Saab? maybe THAT's what I really need. Or a Porsche. I hear that everyone having a mid-life crisis should buy a Porsche.